I had quite a few craft fails getting up to this point. I had originally based this project on a giant logo with black words and multicolored buttons in the background. But since I stole all of the red and green buttons out of my stash for last year’s button wreaths, my multicolored buttons were looking mostly gray and brown.
So I headed to Michael’s to buy some more, and of course, they were completely out. Hancock Fabrics across the street was closed, but JoAnn finally came through with two packages of colored buttons.
When I got home I started arranging them, which was a very time-consuming process. At first I decided the colors were too bright, so I removed a bunch of pink and orange buttons to make it more subdued. Once I did that Mike announced that he couldn’t read the words. Gah!
So I took out all the multicolored buttons and replaced them with white. And since the board was looking a little empty at the top and bottom I added my tagline and my name to fill it in.
And after all that work… I still didn’t like it.
It was a tough decision, but I realized the project wasn’t worth doing if I didn’t love the final product, so I plucked off all the buttons, one-by-one. It finally occurred to me that what was wrong was the background. It was just too plain, and since a tapestry of buttons made it unreadable, I needed cool paper instead. I dug through my stash of Martha Stewart wrapping paper I got on clearance and found just the right pattern.
So after buying all those buttons, I only ended up using a few, but oh well. I have the cute and kitschy sign I wanted, and I’m feeling ready to tackle the many, many craft fairs that are going on this fall. Even last year there was only really one that appealed to my demographic, but now I can hardly keep up with all the emails about new craft fairs. This makes me very, very happy.