My grandma loved to make this sour cream lemon pie — it is such a perfect spring dessert. Mom made one for us last weekend with some lemons a co-worker had brought from home and we ate it up!
Grandma’s other tradition was to make my mom a little pie of her own in this sweet mini pie dish. So mom saved the dish and now she can make Harper a little pie to go with the big one. So cute.
Here’s the full recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 9-inch pie shell, baked (if you have a scratch recipe, all the better!)
- 1 cup whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add butter, lemon zest and juice, milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil and thicken.
- Remove from heat and fold in sour cream. Pour the mixture into your cooled pie shell.
- Refrigerate until the pie is nice and firm. Top with lemon slices and serve with whipped cream.
- Meyer lemons work great, too!